As defined by Town of Hempstead Code §99 -12 – Rental Occupancy – “The occupancy or use of a dwelling unit by one or more persons as a home or residence under an arrangement whereby the occupant or occupants thereof pay rent for such occupancy and use.”
Transient rentals, or property rented for a period of less than 28 days is not permitted.
Permits are issued for a period of Two (2) years and must be renewed. Failure to renew may result in enforcement, including legal proceedings. The fees are nonrefundable and rental permits are nontransferable.
Rental permit application fee: $300.00 (shall be applied towards the applicable rental permit fee once approved)
Single rental unit permit fee: $500.00
Rental unit permit fees for properties containing multiple rental units: $500.00 for the first rental unit, $200.00 for each additional rental unit
Renewal rental permit application fee: $450.00 (shall be applied towards the applicable rental permit fee once approved)
Renewal fee single rental unit permit: $450.00
Renewal rental unit permit fees for properties containing multiple rental units: $450.00 for the first rental unit, $200.00 for each additional rental unit
New or Renewal applications will not be accepted unless the attached application is completed, signed and notarized.
All applications must contain the following:
- The name, address and telephone number of the owner of the dwelling unit intended for rental occupancy. In the event that said dwelling unit is owned by more than one individual or entity, each owner's name, address and telephone number shall be provided. In the event that the owner of the dwelling unit intended for rental occupancy is a corporation, partnership, limited-liability company or other business entity, the name, address and telephone number of each owner, officer, principal, shareholder, partner and/or member of such business entity shall be provided. In the event that the owner has an authorized agent acting on his behalf, that person's name, address and telephone number shall also be provided.
- Proof of residency of each owner.
- The street address and Nassau County Tax Map designation (section, block and lot or lots) of the premises intended for rental occupancy or the premises in which the rental dwelling units intended for occupancy are located.
- A description of the structure, including the number of rental dwelling units in the structure.
- A floor plan depicting the location, use and dimension of each room situated within the dwelling unit.
- The number of persons intended to be accommodated by, and to reside in, each such rental dwelling unit.
- A recent copy of the certified deed recorded with the office of the Nassau County Clerk and real property tax bill, confirming the ownership of record of the dwelling unit.
- A copy of the certificate of occupancy or certificate of compliance for the dwelling unit.
- A property survey of the premises drawn to scale not greater than 40 feet to one inch or, if not shown on the survey, a site plan, drawn to scale, showing all buildings, structures, walks, driveways and other physical features of the premises and the number, location and access of existing and proposed on-site vehicle parking facilities.
- A building permit for all buildings, improvements, alterations, and structures on the property, if any.
- Each application shall be executed by and sworn to under oath by the owner of the dwelling unit.
- If the owner or authorized agent of a dwelling unit resides or has his principal place of business located outside the County of Nassau, he is required to designate an agent who resides in the County of Nassau for the service of process of any notices set forth in this article or for the service of process of a violation of this article. The failure to provide the name, address and contact number of an agent for service of process shall be deemed a violation of this article.
- The fee included must be made payable to the Town of Hempstead.
§ 99-15. Compliance with Town, county and state laws required.
No rental occupancy permit or renewal thereof shall be issued under any application unless the property shall be in compliance with all the provisions of the Code of the Town of Hempstead, the Building Zone Ordinance of the Town of Hempstead, New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code, the laws and sanitary and housing regulations of the County of Nassau and the laws of the State of New York.